Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for April



This month I will be attempting to participate in the Blog a letter a day (excluding Sundays) challenge. This will be quite difficult as I'm travelling a lot in April. April is also Maths Awareness Month which I will endeavour to embody. I will be giving at least three mathematical talks this month as part of my travels so I think I'm set up.

A is for Anew, Afresh, Again.
Today I attacked my work with renewed vigour. Revising my paper and presentation for Paris, again. hopefully this fervency will continue to develop for the month and my work will progress quickly. I also took back up the Secret Garden shawl which languished while I was furiously crocheting the Emergency Shawl. This enterprise left me with a pretty shawl but a sore and swollen hand. One day of planning, 6 days of crocheting, 2 days of blocking and it's ready to pack for tomorrow.

A is also for the Irish words ait and áit meaning 'strange' and 'place' respectively. As in 'Is ait an áit é seo': this is a strange place. It is amazing the difference a fada can make.

Finally, in the mathematical world A is for Abel the mathematician and Abelian groups. More on this when we get to 'c is for commutative' day!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent start to the challenge and a pleasure to read. Good luck with the rest of the letters.

    Yvonne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Anew' is such an uplifting, inspiring word! Best of luck with your projects, regardless of the 'shawl' you don. :))

    Great first A-Z post. Looking forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style, and I love all the A's! I can tell you're going to fly through this challenge!!!!

    I stopped in to welcome you to the A to Z blogging challenge! I'm a co-host, should you need any assistance don't hesitate to ask! I do hope you'll stop by my neck of the woods! We can also be found on twitter (I'm @jenunedited and we're tweeting at #atozchallenge)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It's definitely going to be a challenge but an enjoyable one.

    ReplyDelete