Monday, April 18, 2011

I is for Irish

I am Irish and I love my language. I love to speak it, read it and hear it. It's like music to my soul. So it aches that I cannot use it very much any more. My husband and colleagues have very little (if any) Irish. It's only around my family that I get to use it for more than simple sentences, properly spoken with the real natural pronunciation and not the 'standard' dialect I use for non-native speakers. To go from fluent to the state my Irish is in now breaks my heart. Sadly given the international context of my work this is unlikely to change.

I-mathematician is Ito and 'i' is for the square root of minus one.

5 comments:

  1. I love to hear the Irish Language I have been to Ireland several times and was enchanted by it,
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, here's to making it this far, c, we did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'll ever get to see Ireland, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason why it's so magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have the least bit of Irish in me (that I know of) but one of my friends is from Cork and another from Dublin. It's amazing the difference of words, even in different parts of the country itself.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to be able to speak Irish better, while I was strong at languages in school I never paid Irish that much attention, mostly because of the way it was taught. But now that I'm older I think I understand how important it is. I keep threatening to take a class or something but so far haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete